Most Frequently Asked Questions
This is a list of some of the most commonly asked questions of the Town of Wheatfield. To reveal an answer, just click the question. If your particular question is not listed below, you can submit a question at any time. We respond to all website inquiries within 5 working days.
How do I report a street light out? »
Do you have Bingo halls in Town? »
Where can I find official notices for the Town of Wheatfield? »
You get the pole number that should be clearly marked on that pole and go to the national grid website to report the pole outage.
Click >>HERE<< for the website.
What is the population and growth in the Town of Wheatfield? »
- Official notices are posted in the Wheatfield Tribune
and the Niagara Gazette along with the Town Clerks Office and on our
website under Notice in the main menu.
Bothered by dogs? »
- In 1990 it was 11,125, 2000 it was 14,086, 2010
it was 18,117. See the Us Census Burrow website for more information
Bothered by non-domestic animals such as raccoons, skunks etc.? »
Dead Deer? »
- Call Town Hall at 694-6441 Monday, Wednesday-Friday 9-4:40 pm, Tuesday
untill 7pm, Saturday 9-11am Some rules to follow with regard to dogs
are as follows.
- Town Law; Section 5- Restrictions it shall be unlawful for any owner of any dog to permit or allow such dog in the Town of Wheatfield to:
a) be at large
b) engage in habitual loud howling, barking, crying or whining or to conduct itself in such a manner so as to unreasonably and habitually annoy any person.
c) cause damage or destruction to property, or commit a nuisance by defecating or urinating upon the premises of a person, other than owner of such dog.
d) chase or otherwise harass any person in such a manner as reasonably to cause intimidation or to put such person in reasonable apprehension of bodily harm or injury; or
e) habitually chase, run along side of or bark at motor vehicles or bicycles.
f) be in any town park or designated area in the town for any reason except for dog shows or other functions approved by the Town Board
g) dogs must have rabies shots and be licensed at 4 months of age
- Call the Highway Garage at 692-3508. All other animals hit by a vehicle, call the SPCA at 721-4368 or the Town Clerks Office at 694-6441.
What is the tax value per $1,000 in the Town of Wheatfield? »
What are the hours, and where do I pay my County Tax? »
- The combined tax for County and Town of Wheatfield
is $15.12 per thousand for County/Town plus $358.59 for sewer user &
garbage pickup. Also add to that the School Tax in your
district the Town of Wheatfield has two school districts.
Niagara Wheatfield School Tax is $24.29 per $1000 for Homestead
or $33.11for Non-Homestead. The Starpoint School Tax
rate is $31.66 per $1000 value. This will give you the Total Tax value
per $1000 in The Town of Wheatfield. These are current numbers as of
- Monday, Wednesday-Friday 9-4:30 pm, Tuesday untill 7pm, Saturday 9-11am. In the months of January, February and March.<.li>
- On January 31, February 28th and March 31st.You can pay those taxes
at 2800 Church Rd. Wheatfield Town Hall or the M+T drive-up on Williams
Rd during normal Business hours. For more information, you can call
Kathy Harrington at 694-6461.
- Please note we now have an elevator if needed around the backside of the building.
Do I need a building permit to build a shed? »
Which contractors need to be licensed in the Town of Wheatfield? »
- You need a permit for any shed larger than 8' x 10'.
What are the requirements for an electrician or plumbing license? »
- Electricians and Plumbers must be licensed.
Do I need a permit for a pool? »
- You must pass a test and have at least 10 years experience.
How far from the property line does a shed or pool have to be? »
- Yes you need a permit for a pool. Please call the Town of Wheatfield Building Department at 694-1026 if you have any questions.
Do I need a permit for a fence and how far from the property line can a fence be? »
- Any accessory structure (including above and in-ground pools) needs to be 5' minimum from property line and 10' from any other structure. You may not place a pool or shed on an easement.
- You need a permit and the fence needs to be a minimum of 6" from the property line.
Does the Town of Wheatfield have senior bus transportation? »
Do you rent the Community Center for parties?»
- Yes for private parties only. No "for profit" organizations
I have tree limbs and brush out by the road when is that picked up? »
- Starting May 6th & 7th branches will be picked up on Monday or Tuesday opposite your garbage day. If you have garbage pickup on Monday branches will be picked up on Tuesday and vice-versa. Questions call 692-3508.
Who can I call if I have a question about trash pickup? »
I have a large appliance I would like to dispose of, Is there any special instructions when placing this to the road for trash pick up. »
- For information on trash pickup call Modern Disposal at 1 800 330 7107
How do I get a recycle bin? »
- Yes, The Town of Wheatfield contracts with Modern Disposal for trash pick up. Their local number is 1-800-330-7107 you should call and
let them know you will be putting it out for pickup. The instructions say that you should place it at the curb with your regular refuse and they will pick up
one bulky item or appliance without Freon weekly. For proper Freon Disposal please visit EPA.Gov
What is the earliest time I can put my garbage on curbside? »
- The Water Department is your main point of contact
for recycle bin distribution and exchange. New residents are required
to fill out the new resident request form. When the Certificate of Occupancy
form has been issued the bin will be delivered. All forms are listed
on the Water
Department home page.
How do I dispose of old paint cans»
- No more than 24-hours prior to pickup.
- Modern Disposal will take paint cans provided you
do the following: remove the lid and let the paint air dry in the can.
To speed up the process, stir in an absorbent material such as clay
kitty litter, sawdust etc. keep the lid off and place with your regular
trash for pickup. There are recycling places that will take paint left
in the can as liquid but there is usually a charge to take it to them,
check the phone book or on-line for those companies
What fees can I pay online? »
You can now pay some of your town and county fees
on line by clicking the appropriate link below.
- You're Wheatfield Water
- You're County Tax Bill
- License fees, marriage, dog, certified documents etc.
Additional fees will be applied when used.
What are the hours to pay my Traffic Ticket? »
How do I file a Small Claim in Wheatfield Court? »
- The Business hours for paying your ticket are Monday-Friday, 10AM-2PM. For more information, please call the Court Office 694-6793. The Court Office is located on the main floor, in the back of Town Hall.
How do I file an Eviction Notice? »
- If you would like to file a Small Claim in Wheatfield Court we ask that you stop by the office during business hours to fill out the necessary paperwork which the Court provides.
What night does Judge DeLabio work and what day does
Judge Mattio work in the Town Court? »
- If you would like to file an eviction, they are
scheduled at 7:30PM on court nights. However you MUST call or visit
the Court Office for a date. Also, the Court does NOT provide the eviction
papers. We can give you information where to purchase them, together
with other information that would be helpful to you, if you visit the
Court Office. The eviction papers, with the Affidavit of Service, must
be filed with the Court no latter than the Friday before the Court date,
together with the $20.00 filing fee.
As always, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to call the Court Offices
- Judge DeLabio presides on the first and third Tuesday
evening and Judge Mattio presides on the second and fourth Wednesday
afternoon of each month. If there happens to be a fifth Tuesday in the
month, no court is scheduled.
Am I responsible for reading my water meter? »
I recently sold my home. How do I close out my account? »
- No. The town now has radio read meters, which are read from the street.
I recently moved to Wheatfield and haven't received a water bill. When can I expect one? »
- A compliance inspection is required before closing. Contact your attorney to find out if their office is handling that, otherwise call the water dept. at 716-693-4262 to get it scheduled. There is a $30.00 fee for the inspection. It is the homeowner's responsibility to call the water dept. with their final meter reading and forwarding address at closing to close out their water account.
What is the correct way to read my water meter? »
- Water bills are mailed out 4 times a year. Each billing cycle is based on the amount of actual water used in the current billing cycle. This means that you may not receive your first bill for 3 months after your hookup.
I went away for most of the winter. Why did I still get charged with a water bill? »
- All meters are read from the street. If you do not already have this type of meter, you need to call 693-4262 at your earliest convience and get this change scheduled.
Where do I pay my water bill? »
- There is a minimum charge of $18.55 for each quarterly
What is the hardness of the water in the Town of Wheatfield? »
- Your water bill can be paid by mail or in person at the Town Hall, 2800 Church Rd., North Tonawanda, NY 14120 in the form of either cash or check only. Please make check payable to the Wheatfield Water Dept.
My water pressure seems low. What should the water pressure be coming into my home? »
- Medium to hard, that is 7 to 8 grains of hardness.
Do I have to pay the sewer tax when I fill my pool? »
- 70 to 75 lbs. of pressure.
- Yes all water used passing through your meter is charged the same.