This Week’s Events

We are updating the town's website; some calendar dates are not displayed, Scheduled launch date is June 2015. Please Click Here for a detailed calendar list


1:00pm Town Court

7:00pm Planning Board Meeting

View Calendar of Events >>

Most Frequently Asked Questions

This is a list of some of the most commonly asked questions of the Town of Wheatfield. To reveal an answer, just click the question. If your particular question is not listed below, you can submit a question at any time. We respond to all website inquiries within 5 working days.

General Questions

  • How do I report a street light out? »
    • You get the pole number that should be clearly marked on that pole and go to the national grid website to report the pole outage. Click >>HERE<< for the website.
  • Do you have Bingo halls in Town? »
  • Where can I find official notices for the Town of Wheatfield? »
    • Official notices are posted in the Wheatfield Tribune and the Niagara Gazette along with the Town Clerks Office and on our website under Notice in the main menu.
  • What is the population and growth in the Town of Wheatfield? »
    • In 1990 it was 11,125, 2000 it was 14,086, 2010 it was 18,117. See the Us Census Burrow website for more information
  • Bothered by dogs? »
    • Call Town Hall at 694-6441 Monday, Wednesday-Friday 9-4:40 pm, Tuesday untill 7pm, Saturday 9-11am Some rules to follow with regard to dogs are as follows.
    • Town Law; Section 5- Restrictions it shall be unlawful for any owner of any dog to permit or allow such dog in the Town of Wheatfield to:
      a) be at large
      b) engage in habitual loud howling, barking, crying or whining or to conduct itself in such a manner so as to unreasonably and habitually annoy any person.
      c) cause damage or destruction to property, or commit a nuisance by defecating or urinating upon the premises of a person, other than owner of such dog.
      d) chase or otherwise harass any person in such a manner as reasonably to cause intimidation or to put such person in reasonable apprehension of bodily harm or injury; or
      e) habitually chase, run along side of or bark at motor vehicles or bicycles.
      f) be in any town park or designated area in the town for any reason except for dog shows or other functions approved by the Town Board
      g) dogs must have rabies shots and be licensed at 4 months of age
  • Bothered by non-domestic animals such as raccoons, skunks etc.? »
  • Dead Deer? »
    • Call the Highway Garage at 692-3508. All other animals hit by a vehicle, call the SPCA at 721-4368 or the Town Clerks Office at 694-6441.

    Assessor’s Office

  • What is the tax value per $1,000 in the Town of Wheatfield? »
    • The combined tax for County and Town of Wheatfield is $15.12 per thousand for County/Town plus $358.59 for sewer user & garbage pickup. Also add to that the School Tax in your district the Town of Wheatfield has two school districts. Niagara Wheatfield School Tax is $24.29 per $1000 for Homestead or $33.11for Non-Homestead. The Starpoint School Tax rate is $31.66 per $1000 value. This will give you the Total Tax value per $1000 in The Town of Wheatfield. These are current numbers as of January 2013.
  • What are the hours, and where do I pay my County Tax? »
    • Monday, Wednesday-Friday 9-4:30 pm, Tuesday untill 7pm, Saturday 9-11am. In the months of January, February and March.<.li>
    • On January 31, February 28th and March 31st.You can pay those taxes at 2800 Church Rd. Wheatfield Town Hall or the M+T drive-up on Williams Rd during normal Business hours. For more information, you can call Kathy Harrington at 694-6461.
    • Please note we now have an elevator if needed around the backside of the building.

    Building Department

  • Do I need a building permit to build a shed? »
    • You need a permit for any shed larger than 8' x 10'.
  • Which contractors need to be licensed in the Town of Wheatfield? »
    • Electricians and Plumbers must be licensed.
  • What are the requirements for an electrician or plumbing license? »
    • You must pass a test and have at least 10 years experience.
  • Do I need a permit for a pool? »
    • Yes you need a permit for a pool. Please call the Town of Wheatfield Building Department at 694-1026 if you have any questions.
  • How far from the property line does a shed or pool have to be? »
    • Any accessory structure (including above and in-ground pools) needs to be 5' minimum from property line and 10' from any other structure. You may not place a pool or shed on an easement.
  • Do I need a permit for a fence and how far from the property line can a fence be? »
    • You need a permit and the fence needs to be a minimum of 6" from the property line.

    Community/Senior Center

  • Does the Town of Wheatfield have senior bus transportation? »
    • No
  • Do you rent the Community Center for parties?»
    • Yes for private parties only. No "for profit" organizations

    Highway Department

  • I have tree limbs and brush out by the road when is that picked up? »
    • Starting May 6th & 7th branches will be picked up on Monday or Tuesday opposite your garbage day. If you have garbage pickup on Monday branches will be picked up on Tuesday and vice-versa. Questions call 692-3508.

    Refuse Recycling

  • Who can I call if I have a question about trash pickup? »
    • For information on trash pickup call Modern Disposal at 1 800 330 7107
  • I have a large appliance I would like to dispose of, Is there any special instructions when placing this to the road for trash pick up. »
    • Yes, The Town of Wheatfield contracts with Modern Disposal for trash pick up. Their local number is 1-800-330-7107 you should call and let them know you will be putting it out for pickup. The instructions say that you should place it at the curb with your regular refuse and they will pick up one bulky item or appliance without Freon weekly. For proper Freon Disposal please visit EPA.Gov
  • How do I get a recycle bin? »
    • The Water Department is your main point of contact for recycle bin distribution and exchange. New residents are required to fill out the new resident request form. When the Certificate of Occupancy form has been issued the bin will be delivered. All forms are listed on the Water Department home page.
  • What is the earliest time I can put my garbage on curbside? »
    • No more than 24-hours prior to pickup.
  • How do I dispose of old paint cans»
    • Modern Disposal will take paint cans provided you do the following: remove the lid and let the paint air dry in the can. To speed up the process, stir in an absorbent material such as clay kitty litter, sawdust etc. keep the lid off and place with your regular trash for pickup. There are recycling places that will take paint left in the can as liquid but there is usually a charge to take it to them, check the phone book or on-line for those companies

    Town Clerk

  • What fees can I pay online? »
    • You can now pay some of your town and county fees on line by clicking the appropriate link below.
    • You're Wheatfield Water
    • You're County Tax Bill
    • License fees, marriage, dog, certified documents etc.
      Additional fees will be applied when used.

    Town Court

  • What are the hours to pay my Traffic Ticket? »
    • The Business hours for paying your ticket are Monday-Friday, 10AM-2PM. For more information, please call the Court Office 694-6793. The Court Office is located on the main floor, in the back of Town Hall.
  • How do I file a Small Claim in Wheatfield Court? »
    • If you would like to file a Small Claim in Wheatfield Court we ask that you stop by the office during business hours to fill out the necessary paperwork which the Court provides.
  • How do I file an Eviction Notice? »
    • If you would like to file an eviction, they are scheduled at 7:30PM on court nights. However you MUST call or visit the Court Office for a date. Also, the Court does NOT provide the eviction papers. We can give you information where to purchase them, together with other information that would be helpful to you, if you visit the Court Office. The eviction papers, with the Affidavit of Service, must be filed with the Court no latter than the Friday before the Court date, together with the $20.00 filing fee.
      As always, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to call the Court Offices
  • What night does Judge DeLabio work and what day does Judge Mattio work in the Town Court? »
    • Judge DeLabio presides on the first and third Tuesday evening and Judge Mattio presides on the second and fourth Wednesday afternoon of each month. If there happens to be a fifth Tuesday in the month, no court is scheduled.

    Water Department

  • Am I responsible for reading my water meter? »
    • No. The town now has radio read meters, which are read from the street.
  • I recently sold my home. How do I close out my account? »
    • A compliance inspection is required before closing. Contact your attorney to find out if their office is handling that, otherwise call the water dept. at 716-693-4262 to get it scheduled. There is a $30.00 fee for the inspection. It is the homeowner's responsibility to call the water dept. with their final meter reading and forwarding address at closing to close out their water account.
  • I recently moved to Wheatfield and haven't received a water bill. When can I expect one? »
    • Water bills are mailed out 4 times a year. Each billing cycle is based on the amount of actual water used in the current billing cycle. This means that you may not receive your first bill for 3 months after your hookup.
  • What is the correct way to read my water meter? »
    • All meters are read from the street. If you do not already have this type of meter, you need to call 693-4262 at your earliest convience and get this change scheduled.
  • I went away for most of the winter. Why did I still get charged with a water bill? »
    • There is a minimum charge of $18.55 for each quarterly cycle.
  • Where do I pay my water bill? »
    • Your water bill can be paid by mail or in person at the Town Hall, 2800 Church Rd., North Tonawanda, NY 14120 in the form of either cash or check only. Please make check payable to the Wheatfield Water Dept.
  • What is the hardness of the water in the Town of Wheatfield? »
    • Medium to hard, that is 7 to 8 grains of hardness.
  • My water pressure seems low. What should the water pressure be coming into my home? »
    • 70 to 75 lbs. of pressure.
  • Do I have to pay the sewer tax when I fill my pool? »
    • Yes all water used passing through your meter is charged the same.