Alternative Veteran's Exemptions
This exemption is available to veterans who served on active duty in the U.S. armed services and meet the following requirements:
- You must own the property for which you are applying for the exemption
- The property must be your primary residence
- You served on active duty during any of the following eligible periods of time*:
- Persian Gulf Conflict (on or after August 2, 1990)
- Vietnam War (February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975)
- Korean War (June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955)
- World War II (December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946)
- World War I (April 6, 1917 - November 11, 1918)
- Mexican Border Period (May 9, 1916 - April 5, 1917)
- Spanish-American War (April 21, 1898 - July 4, 1902)
Veterans of the following crisis must have actually served and received an expeditionary medal for service in one of the following:
- Lebanon (June 1, 1983 - December 1, 1987)
- Grenada (October 23, 1983 - November 21, 1983)
- Panama (December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990)
The eligible War Veteran will receive 15% exemption and an additional 10% exemption if the service was in a combat zone or theater. Veterans with a service connected disability may be eligible for an additional partial exemption equal to one-half of the disability rating.
To apply, complete the following application and return it to the Assessor’s office by March 1:
Applications are also available in the Assessor’s Office at Town Hall at 2800 Church Road.
Cold War Eligibility
This exemption is available to veterans who served on active duty (exclusive of training) for at least 1 year in the United States armed forces between September 2, 1945 - December 26, 1991, and who are not currently receiving either the eligible funds or alternative veterans’ exemption.